New Mexico Contractor License

New Mexico Contractor License

If you want to start your work as a contractor in New Mexico, you might need precise information on laws & regulations applied specifically in the state. In this article, we cover topics such as: how to obtain a contractor’s license in New Mexico, the process of licensure, state-issued requirements, and more.

How do I get a contractor’s license in New Mexico?

In New Mexico, the contractors’ licensure is issued by the Construction Industries and Manufactured Housing Division (CID)  although the licensing requirements and procedures are entirely handled by PSI examination. To obtain your contractor’s license, we outlined the main processes you need to perform:

Once you complete the following steps and get the notarized documents with signatures you must send the whole materials to:

PSI – New Mexico Construction Licensing Services
2820 Broadbent Pkwy NE, Suite E&F
Albuquerque, NM 87107

If your work experience and certificate are accepted by PSI you will be shortly notified and get permission to take QP exams. To submit your CID application for contractor’s license you must:

  • Provide a copy of valid QP certificate, test scores, or Business and Law exams’ score
  • Pay $36 application fee and licensing fees if applicable
  • Obtain a license surety bond
  • Get tax registration certificate with current tax ID from the New Mexico Tax Registration & Revenue Dept.
  • Have worker’s compensation insurance and proof of financial responsibility
  • Show the proof of business registration with the New Mexico Secretary of State if your business structure is LLC, corporation, or partnership

Do you need a contractor’s license in New Mexico?

To work legally in New Mexico, every contractor should obtain a license. Licensing is issued by CID to any contractor, who performs general building construction, electrical, plumbing, mechanical works. If you fail to obtain an NM contractor’s license, you will be forced to terminate your construction project and face criminal charges in Metropolitan or Magistrate Court.

To be a licensed contractor you should determine your work classification and obtain a QP certificate. QP applicants should complete the notarized qualifying party application form and general work experience certificate. To obtain this certificate you have to provide either:

2 years of experience (4,000 hours) in:

  • Residential Building and Building Specialties
  • Asphalt Bitumen and Concrete Construction
  • Fixed Works
  • Residential Wiring and Electrical Specialties
  • Mechanical Specialties

OR 4 years of experience (8,000) in:

  • General Building
  • Asphalt Bitumen and Concrete Construction
  • Fixed Works
  • Electrical-Residential and Commercial
  • Electrical Distribution Systems
  • Mechanical
  • Plumbing
  • Natural Gas Fitting
  • HVAC
  • Process Piping
  • Fire Sprinklers
  • Dry Chemical Fire Protection

Once you submit the work experience certificate, PSI will send approval notice and you can schedule QP examinations with PSI Exam Services.

What is the easiest contractor’s license to get?

Contractors applying for residential or general contractor’s licenses may complete less paperwork and there are fewer questions on the exam. As the rules and regulations of obtaining a contractor’s license differ from state to state, make sure to follow up with your local governance to learn more.

Mary H

Mary H

Being a skilled creative writer and SEO content writer, with 2+ years of experience I can't imagine any other profession to fulfill my life as much as writing does. As a proud member of geek culture, I enjoy reading, writing, watching Sci-Fi gems, while also advocating the involvement of young, bright-minded girls and women in STEM research. Latter was largely the result of working at UNESCO Chair, Life Sciences International Postgraduate Educational Center as an editor of scientific journals.